Kodi is an entertainment software that allows you to collect, store, and play all kinds of media, from movies to TV shows to music to podcasts.
Kodi was originally launched in 2002 and initially known as the Xbox Media Player software application developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a free, open-source software media center. It runs on pretty much any platform, including Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Kodi is customizable: skins can change its appearance, and plug-ins allow users to access streaming media content via online services such as Amazon Prime Instant Video, Crackle, Pandora Internet Radio, Rhapsody, Spotify, and YouTube.
It’s continuously modified and upgraded by countless scores of coders and developers around the world.
Kodi is extremely reliable, but it’s not immune to speed issues, especially on niche pieces of hardware. Check the list below to see if your problem is a quick fix, then read through the following suggestions to streamline Kodi once and for all.
- Crashing or freezing – Some crashes are normal (see below), but others are both inconvenient and downright annoying. Issues like this are generally related to your operating system and Kodi itself, not something you installed. Try updating Kodi to a newer version or rebooting your device.
- Stuttering video – Most users confuse this for an internet issue, but if a video stops and starts rapidly, almost like someone’s hitting the pause/unpause button at hyper speed, it means you’re having severe framerate issues. This is likely caused by low-powered hardware struggling to keep up with the demands of an HD or 4K video. Switch to a lower-quality stream, or try it on a stronger system.
- Frequent video buffering – If a video constantly pauses to buffer, your issue is likely related to your internet connection, not necessarily Kodi itself. Buffering is a common enough problem that we wrote an entire guide on how to fix it.
Kodi turns any computer, smartphone, or tablet into a digital set-top box or streamer, giving users the ability to stream files from the internet, a home network, or local storage. Unlike other TV streamers such as Apple TV, Chromecast 2, and Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi isn’t held back by licensing or a curated app store, so it lets you download a range of community-made apps or addons, and watch whatever you like.
Is it Legal to Use it?
The simple answer is yes. When running official apps, is not illegal. Just like third-party torrent sites, they’re not unlawful either, but what you do on them can be unlawful.
When these streams access or provide access to copyrighted content, legality comes into question. Laws vary from country to country, but most jurisdictions are becoming stricter which is why a reliable VPN like Shellfire VPN is your only salvation.
It is important to note that not all VPNs are equal. Some VPNs offer better security than others.
WARNING: Most third-party add-ons stream illegal content. It’s up to you whether to use them or not, however, we recommend using a VPN for privacy and security. We reviewed and compared TOP VPN Providers and here is the result. Please keep your Privacy secured.
How To Install?
The installation process is actually very simple. “Kodi.tv” by logging into the web page, you download the code version that is appropriate for the device platform you use through the site. Then, you can always use it by installing it the same way you install applications on your device.
- It plays numerous media groups. It has a playback alternative for different media
- It is provided with a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) framework. It enables you to tune in to Radio, seeing TV and recording television programs.
- It permits additional items establishment to happen efficiently. Numerous individuals like Kodi in light of the fact that it will empower the establishment of modules.
- It enables you to change the presence of different programming. You can tweak them the manner in which you want.
- You can utilize this framework on TV headend, Media Portal, NextPVR, and Myth TV
- It provides you the weather condition of your current region through service settings based on your geographical location.
- The Kodi appearance is flexible and it can be changed according to the view of the user.
- It is provided with complete security and away from security risks.
- It facilitates the download for additional add-ons.
- Compatible with all major Operating Systems
- Large-screen friendly 10-foot interface
- Supports online streaming and playback from the local storage
- Supports all popular video and audio formats with advanced features
- Comes with a TV Shows and Photo Library
- Allows watching and recording LIVE TV
- Fully customizable user interface using Skins
- Supports Web Interfaces and hundreds of remotes
- Kodi does not include any media
Kodi essentially has the ability to turn your devices into home entertainment hubs. You can stream content off the Internet, your home network, or local storage. In some cases, a certain online streaming channel’s app might not be officially available on your streaming device.
Kodi is hugely popular since it allows users to stream music, videos, movies, and other media. It comes with various add-ons support which you can add to increase the functionality.
These add-ons are like apps on a smartphone. These increase the functionality of the Kodi platform. Most of these add-ons are prepared by third-party vendors. There are many official Kodi addons which are also available in the marketplace.
Legal Notice: KodiRevolution is strongly against content piracy, and we implore our readers to avoid it by all means.
Learn more about popular streaming platforms or features in Kodi, tips and tricks by checking some of our other post in the Kodi category.